Humility vs. Pride – whole bible is an epic retelling of various people’s battle between pride and humility in the heart
- Can’t even start to understand anything on this page without starting from a position of humility.
- God created the world
- God created people
- Humility is a heart attitude, not merely an outward demeanor
- Jesus said that those who are “poor in spirit” would have the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, humility is a prerequisite for the Christian.
- Matthew 20:26-27 It shall not be so among you. But whoever would be great among you must be your servant, and whoever would be first among you must be your slave
- Philippians 2:3 “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.”
- This attitude precludes selfish ambition, conceit, and the strife that comes with self-justification and self-defense.
- The truly humble does not defend himself when falsely accused or unjustly treated. He defends the truth, but not his own ego or reputation.
- Philippians 2:8 “And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.”
- He was always obedient to the Father and so should the humble Christian be willing to put aside all selfishness and submit in obedience to God and His Word.
- True humility produces godliness, contentment, and security. Freedom from the world.
- Therefore, we must confess and put away pride. If we exalt ourselves, we place ourselves in opposition to God who will, in His grace and for our own good, humble us. But if we humble ourselves, God gives us more grace and exalts us (Luke 14:11). Along with Jesus, Paul is also to be our example of humility. In spite of the great gifts and understanding he had received, Paul saw himself as the “least of the apostles” and the “chief of sinners” (1 Timothy 1:15; 1 Corinthians 15:9). Like Paul, the truly humble will glory in the grace of God and in the cross, not in self-righteousness (Philippians 3:3-9).
- Therefore, pride is the greatest evil that exists. It wreaks destruction at every level of human experience. It is present in small irritations and in the collapse of great civilizations. Pride is the root of every sin and pollutes every otherwise righteous affection, motivation, and action.
- Pride turns ambition selfish, perverts sexual desire into unspeakable lusts, interprets net-worth as self-worth, infects the wound of grief and loss with the bacteria of bitterness, and twists competition into conquest.
- To be proud is what it means to be fallen, whether angel or human. Pride is our most deadly enemy — it is what makes Satan deadly to us. And it is alive and active within every person.
- John 3:27 John answered, “A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven.
- In thinking ourselves far greater than we really are, we see truly great things far smaller than they really are. The lie of pride becomes a damned lie when we see God as smaller, and less important than he is. And in trying to make truly great things subservient to our false supremacy, pride shrinks our capacity to experience joy and wonder. In seeking to be gods and goddesses, we learn to only value what magnifies our glory or satisfies our appetites.
- The damned lie of pride is that it promises us happiness through God-usurping self-exaltation, which turns out to be the very thing that kills our happiness. The more highly we think of ourselves, the smaller our capacity for wonder and worship over what is most worthy.
- Greatest is Love – (side note – you can not truly love others if your heart is full of price)
1 Corinthians 13:13 Now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.
- All love is not equal
- Hierarchy of love
- Love God with all your heart soul and mind
- Mark 12:30 “ The Lord our God, the Lord is One.[o] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.“
- Love your neighbour:
- Mark 12:31 “The second is: Love your neighbor as yourself.[a] There is no other command greater than these.”
- Who is your neighbor? Anyone who is not a brother in the faith.
- Love God with all your heart soul and mind
- Man is designed to be in community – not alone. Genesis 2:18 “Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone;I will make him a helper fit for him.” 2:24 “and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.”
God, what do you want? Glorify God. (Its all about the relationship.)
- God wants all people to return to him.
- Glorifying God is:
- 1) Heart surgery – first pride out of the heart – replace with humility
- 2) Love God by returning to God – can’t do it with pride in heart
- To love God is to know God
- through bible
- through relationship with his creation people and environment
- talking to God (prayer)
- listen to God (bible + church + small group + mentor)
- serving people with God at your side
- To love God is to know God
- 3) Love family (again hierarchy of love) WIFE!, KIDS, parents, brothers & sisters, grandparents, cousins, friends, co-workers, etc.
- 4) Love God by serving his purpose to bring people back to God
- Relationship with neighbours
- Meaning of Life: To accept God’s free gift of a unique life that comes with certain unique blessings (talents, skills, spiritual gifts). To experience that life and discover what your gifts are and then give them away.
- Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.
- Life is the greatest gift of God.
- Life is created by God for God’s glory.
- Life is God’s most precious gift. No principle, however glorious may justify the taking of it.
- Life is the most beautiful gift of God to mankind, therefore people and nations who destroy life are the poorest. It is not a question of legal or illegal, no human hand should be raised to kill life since life is God’s life in us.
- John 3:27 John answered, “A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven.” – so everything that we have is from God.
- Biblical freedom is to be free from pride and fear. Unless you believe the gospel everything you do will be driven by either pride or fear. You are biblically wise when you understand and believe this is true.
- Fear-based repentance makes us hate ourselves. Joy-based repentance makes us hate the sin.
- This is why everything about the gospel is designed to expose our pride and force us to put it to death. God doesn’t humble us because, like some conceited tyrant, he takes pleasure in our groveling. He humbles us because he wants us to be happy and free — he wants us to reflect his image! God is perfectly humble; he sees all things — himself and everything else — exactly as they are. And he is the happiest being alive.
- The only road for us proud sinners to travel to reach the promised land of joy and be the free children of God passes through the valley of humiliation. And it’s hard, and the trek requires real courage. Humbling ourselves often feels like death, but it really is not. It’s holy chemotherapy that kills the cancer of pride. “Whoever would save his life will lose it” (Luke 9:24) means losing the “pride of life” (1 John 2:16) in order to gain what is “truly life” (1 Timothy 6:19).
Afterlife, Hell & Heaven
- John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
- John 3:36, “Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God’s wrath remains on them.”
- God is holy and perfect. Heaven, His dwelling place, is holy and perfect.
- Romans 3:23 all have sinned and fallen short of God’s glory.
- Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- There is no sin and no evil in heaven. We must be clean and perfect to enter. Jesus blood is what makes us clean so that we may enter.
- Bible says… We are entitled to God because that is God’s gift to us. 2 Corinthians 6:18 “I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty.”
- You don’t realize God is all you need until God is all you have.
Imagination – the image of God.
- Humans are the image of God. Our emotions, self awareness, imagination and the ability to imagine a future and our ability to make decisions based on future hopes and dreams sets us apart from all other creatures.
Given that every breath and every second we have is a gift from God…
- Today, God gave you a gift of 86400 seconds. Have you used one to day “thank you”?
- There is no passion to be found playing small in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
- Creating breathing room financially may lower your standard of living but raise your quality of life.
- Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the PRESENT.
Hate and Anger
- What do you hope to achieve by your anger?
- Perception IS REALITY in the way it influences real and major life decisions.
- What story do you want to tell? Which of your options do you want as a permanent part of your story?
- None of us plan or intend to get into trouble. The problem is we don’t plan not to.
- In light of my past experience, my present circumstances, and my future hopes and dreams, what’s the wise thing to do?
- No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.
- Emotions are telling us something. Anger is telling us we believe something is “wrong”. Anger reveals the true passion of our heart.
- Anger points us in the direction of where our heart is telling us that we want to go. We need to translate the message that anger is sending us.
- Anger is always rooted in the believe that “my needs are not being met”
- You cannot blame your way into a better future.
- Sin is any decisions or action that is against God’s plan and will for your life.
- The sin that is most destructive in your life right now is the one you are most defensive about.
- What is most destructive in your life right now is what you are most defensive about
- Have the knowledge of good and evil – we have it from God – our morality is from God.
- Humility is NOT “I am a worm”. Humility is not thinking less of yourself.
- Humility IS thinking less about yourself.
- Arrogant = “It is all about me.”
- Huberus = Choices that “Could be right for me” but have risk to hurt others.